These frequently asked questions (FAQs) are related to managing finances as part of the resources and information available for NSW Police Officers transitioning to a new career. 


The following information relates to sworn Police Officers only as they are considered exempt workers in the Workers Compensation Act 1987 No 70. If you are an administrative employee of NSW Police, please see the SIRA claims management guide or consult your Case Manager regarding your benefits.

Find more information on police career transition on our website, including managing other aspects of your finances.


1. How is my statutory rate determined when I have dependents?The statutory rate is set by SIRA and indexed in April and October each year. There are different rates depending on whether you have a spouse and any dependents in your household. Find more information on the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) website.


2. How is my current weekly wage rate (CWWR) calculated?Your CWWR is your pre-injury salary. Additional payments you may have received for overtime, shift work, special expenses and penalty rates are NOT included in your CWWR. The rate is provided by the NSWPF.

3. What are my probable earnings? Probable earnings are provided by the NSW Police Force Shared Services Personnel Team. The amount is what you could have been earning if you were still employed by NSW Police Force and is indexed each year.


4. What is an Earning Capacity Assessment?An Earning Capacity Assessment helps ensure a worker’s weekly pay rate is aligned with their current earning capacity.

The Assessment will include a review of the worker’s functional restrictions and vocational options and takes into consideration the labour market conditions. The insurer may engage an external provider to undertake an independent assessment.

It may be performed when a worker has received at least 52 weeks of partial incapacity payments, their weekly pay rate may be reviewed in line with section 40A of the 1987 Act.


5. What type of payments might I be eligible for under the Workers Compensation Act 1987?
Section 36

These payments apply for the first 26 weeks while you are totally unfit for work. You will be paid your pre-injury award rate.

Section 37
These payments apply after the first 26 weeks while you are totally unfit for work. You will be paid using the statutory rate. This rate is set by icare and indexed twice a year in April and October.

Section 38
These payments apply for a maximum of 52 weeks during the life of your claim if you have some capacity for work, are job seeking and/or retraining. You will be paid your statutory rate or 80% of your pre-injury award rate, whichever is the greater amount.

To receive payments under section 38 you must be ready, willing and able to accept an offer of suitable employment from any employer and make reasonable steps to obtain suitable employment.

Section 40
These payments apply if you have some capacity and are working. You will receive your warnings PLUS the applicable statutory rate of weekly compensation under this section. There may be circumstances where you will receive a lesser rate; if this applies EML will let you know.

Visit the below NSW Government websites for more information: 


6. What happens to my superannuation?Superannuation is not payable while an employee is on workers compensation and if you wish to continue contributions to your fund this will have be arranged independently.


7. How do I make sure my payments are not delayed once I finish with NSWPF?After your last day of service with NSWPF you will receive your weekly benefit in fortnightly payments directly from EML into your nominated bank account. The timing of these payments is aligned to your usual NSWPF payments to ensure a smooth transition.

Make sure you complete and return the following forms: 

The forms help determine your correct rate of pay. It is important that you return these forms promptly to avoid delay in your payments being made.

When you have successfully obtained employment please make sure you provide your case manager with your new payslips. Your payment entitlements may change with new employment. Your case manager will calculate your current entitlements to make sure you continue to receive the correct payment.


8. How regular are the payments from EML?EML’s payments are made on a fortnightly cycle.


9. Can I keep the police pay cycle?Yes, EML payments can stay aligned with the Police payment cycle. We understand that you may have automated withdrawals scheduled for your pre-injury pay days and have aligned our payments to support your smooth transition.

There are a range of resources to help you secure your financial future.


10. Where can I seek support?You can find information on numerous services available to you in the useful links section on the police career transition page on our website.

> Return to managing finances, or police career transition home.