What to expect

Leaving a job you enjoy can be challenging. Even more so if it is a forced change due to an injury that was out of your control. But there is much that can be done to improve your experience as you leave NSWPF and move on to seek something new.

Understanding the process of transition, knowing who to ask for assistance, taking the time to prepare yourself for this big change in your life and knowing that the skills you have acquired are easily transferrable to other roles can all help to minimise stress for you and your family.

What does the process involve?

There are multiple steps to the transition process, but it can pass by rather quickly. If you are unsure of where things are up to, the best person to check in with is your Injury Management Advisor (IMA). They should be able to advise or make enquiries on your behalf.

Regardless of where you are up to with your transition, knowing how the process works can help make things go smoothly and seem easier. For starters, look at the Career Transition brochure and Medical Retirement FAQs.

I have been told my last day of service is soon. What next?

Your last day of service will coincide with the end of a pay period. This means that you should receive payment for all your leave entitlements and anything else owing with your last pay from NSWPF. A breakdown of this payment will be posted to you by NSWPF.

The NSWPF Personnel Unit in HR Transaction Services will pay your final entitlements into your nominated bank account up to two weeks after your final last day of service.

If you haven’t already, you will be transferred to a new case manager at EML who specialises in assisting former police officers. Whether you require ongoing support with your treatment and recovery, want to know more about your options moving forward or are ready to consider a new career, there are some great programs and people your case manager can discuss with you and your treatment providers. Discover support services available >

EML will take over paying you directly so it is important that you speak with your case manager about what is required. They will send you some forms to complete along with your preferred bank details, tax file number etc. Find more information on managing finances >

If you have a claim for income protection with TAL, it is important that you also speak to your case manager there to make sure everything is in order. Income protection payments from TAL are made monthly in arrears. For specific questions around TAL payments, speak with your TAL case manager. Find more information on managing finances >

Who can help with that?



Leading up to your last day of service, your Command contacts are best to assist you with things such as:

  • obtaining your certificate of service
  • returning your work belongings
  • collecting your personal items from your locker
  • dealing with payroll
  • extending your last day of service

Injury Management Advisor

Your IMA is the key contact leading up to your last day of service with NSWPF. They can help you with:

  • understanding the process and what is required
  • providing updates on where things are up to
  • recommending support services to help with transition and beyond

NSWPF Shared Services

The NSWPF Personnel Unit in HR Transaction Services will pay your final entitlements into your nominated bank account up to two weeks after your final last day of duty.

EML Case Manager

Your Case Manager will arrange a time to introduce you to a new Case Manager at EML who specialises in transition support services and can assist you in the next stages of your recovery.

Your new Case Manager will ensure your payments continue directly from EML. These payments will be set up from your last date of service, will be based on your capacity and your weekly benefits will be paid directly into your nominated bank account.

EML can provide you with career transition services and recruitment support to assist you in returning to new employment.


Family members and close friends can be great support for you but sometimes they need a bit of help too. Did you know that family members can access help in several ways? Including:

  • NSWPF Family Support Coordinator (ask your IMA for further info)
  • NSWPF Employee Assistance Program (up to 6 sessions with a counsellor free of charge for family members of current/former employees)
  • referral to a private psychologist as part of your workers compensation claim (speak with your EML Case Manager)
  • Kookaburra Kids provides age-appropriate mental health education and early intervention for children whose parents have a mental illness. The program is available for families of NSW Police Officers who have a current workers compensation claim involving psychological injury and have children aged between 8 and 18.
All I know is the cops, what job could I possibly do now?

What can I do to best prepare for civilian life?

The transition from Police Officer to civilian can be daunting and the impact on some individuals profound. Research indicates that the impact of this change can be minimised by preparing for the change ahead of time and understanding the impact of the change as it occurs. As such, NSWPF and EML have partnered with Phoenix Australia – Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health to develop an online program to help officers, family, friends and treatment providers make transition easier.

You can also find information to help officers, family and friends after a potentially traumatic incident in the Recovery after Trauma guide.